History of Our School

The 'Sisters of the Good Samaritan of the Order of St Benedict' were founded by Archbishop John Bede Polding in Sydney in 1857. Arriving in Brisbane in 1916, the Good Samaritan Sisters were to be 'missionary Benedictines' for Australian communities. The foundation of St Philomena's School in Grovely in 1957 followed the Sisters' gradual journey north-west out of Brisbane, from Wilston to Enoggera, Newmarket and Mitchelton. In 1963, St Philomena's Grovely became St William's School.

The Good Samaritan Sisters, by their name, are called to be charitable like the Good Samaritan, moved to help the injured, vulnerable stranger. The energy and commitment of the founding Sisters, who travelled each day from their Mitchelton convent, was met by the enthusiasm and generosity of the families committed to supporting the school and parish. This community spirit and a concern for those in need is deeply embedded in the school and parish community today, more than 60 years later.

 

For more information about the Benedictine Charism

For more information about the Good Samaritan Sisters

‚Äč